Earthing Sheet Fabric and What You Need to Know
Now, more than ever, there are many choices in earthing bedding from different earthing sheet fabrics to product designs.
If you are looking for a long-lasting and reliable earthing product, you need to know:
- How earthing sheet fabric is made
- A comparison of Better Earthing bedding with other options
- Why a warranty is important
- What factors influence longevity
- What 100% silver really means
How Better Earthing’s Premium Earthing Fabric is Made
All earthing bedding contains conductive material to conduct free electrons from the earth. This conductive material can be silver or stainless steel or carbon.
Our premium range uses solid medical grade stainless steel filament.
We chose stainless steel because it cannot be damaged or oxidised by sulphur in sweat and ingredients in creams and lotions. It is extremely robust and hardwearing and our fabric blend has a flexible, linen-like feel. We expect out premium fabric will outlast every other earthing sheet, earthing sleep system or earthing mat worldwide.
This is why:
- Quality. We use the highest quality medical grade (315L) solid stainless steel filament (15%), German made Antibacterial Mineral Fibre (10%, and sustainably produced Lyocell/Tencel from FSC Certified forests (75%).
- No concerns about sulphur in sweat, body and hair oils or ingredients in creams and lotions. None of these can damage conductive stainless steel earthing filament.
- Longest Warranties. We give a 5-year warranty when used as an underlay and 3-years when slept on directly. We expect this product to last at least 3 times that length.
- Always Antibacterial. It is permanently antibacterial (certified) and will prevent bacteria and odours from occurring within the fabric throughout its lifespan. Many fabrics are not permanently antibacterial and only have a solution added which washes out quickly. This fabric is certified to reduce MRSA bacteria by over 99.94%.
How Silver Earthing Sheet Fabric is Made
All silver earthing fabric is made by adhering 99.9% pure silver to a nylon fibre core. The technical name for this is ‘silver coated fibre’.
The main weakness of silver-coated fibre is it is delicate and easily damaged by sulphur in sweat and the myriad of ingredients in creams & lotions. These can damage (oxidise) the silver by weakening or destroying its conductivity and earthing effectiveness.
We used to make bedding using silver-coated fibre.
As a manufacturer, we focused on:
- Quality of the conductive fibre. Our silver coated fibre is of the highest quality, and from France. It is finished with an anti-oxidising process to ensure a longer effective earthing life and more resilience against damage from oxidisation.
- Quantity of the conductive fibre used in our fabric. Every square metre of our custom fabric contains 7,500 metres (7.5 kilometres) of silver-coated fibre.
Our silver range has been superseded by our popular Premium stainless steel filament earthing underlays, which can never be oxidised.
How Does Better Earthing Bedding Compare to Other Options?
Different Silver Earthing Sheet Fabric Blends
Earthing fabric is made by weaving conductive fibres with other fibres, such as cotton, polyester, or in our case Tencel. We chose Tencel for its strength and award-winning environmentally friendly production process.
The percentage of fibre types in earthing sheets varies.
Standard earthing sheets that you have to sleep directly on are made from 97% cotton and 3% or less silver coated fibre. You can see the silver within the distinctive criss-cross or grid pattern if you look very closely. Our custom silver earthing fabric has silver-coated fibre and Tencel in 50 / 50 proportions. Every single thread of Tencel in our fabric has silver-coated fibre twisted around it.
Every square meter of our custom fabric contains over 7,500 metres (7.5 kilometres) of silver coated fibre.
|Size||Silver Thread in Standard Earthing Sheets||Silver Thread in Better Earthing Silver Fabric|
|Universal (1/2 sheet)||Over 15,000 metres|
|Double||553 metres||Over 22,000 metres|
|Queen||656 metres||26,000 metres|
|King||844 metres||30,000 metres|
The Truth About % Silver and What 100% Silver Really Means
As mentioned above, silver-coated fibre is coated with silver that is 99.9% pure. But you really need to know how much silver-coated fibre is in the fabric. For that, you need another percentage.
For a time, USA made small deep sleep pads were being promoted in Australia as “100% silver conductive fabric (or pads)“. They are actually made from 50% ordinary silver-coloured polyester and 50% silver-coated fibre as you can see from the care label. If you can’t find the actual fabric breakdown on the retailer’s website, contact them to confirm how much silver is actually in the product.
How Much Conductive Fibre Do You Need?
We’ve experimented with a variety of fabrics that have silver fibre in 35%, 45%, 50% and 60% of the overall fabric. All of these are highly conductive for earthing and we didn’t notice any difference in earthing effectiveness.
For our silver range, we settled on 50% so we could have silver twisted around every single fibre of Tencel in our fabric. The extra silver also acts as a buffer against oxidisation.
For our premium range, we use around 15% stainless steel filament as no buffer is needed against oxidisation as this metal cannot be damaged by sulphur in sweat.
The earthing strength is the same across our two ranges, but the stainless steel remains conductive for longer, hence the longer warranty of 5-years.
Earthing Underlay Design – A World’s First
In 2014 we launched the world’s first earthing undersheet or earthing sheet underlay. It used 15-20 times the silver of a standard earthing sheet (where 3% or less of the fabric is silver coated fibre).
It is easier and more practical to have an earthing underlay, that sits directly underneath your regular fitted sheets.
There are some very good reasons for this.
- You can still use your favourite sheets.
- There is much less ‘wear and tear’ on the earthing underlay due to less washing and less body oil build up on the silver fibres.
- Your regular cotton or natural fibre fitted sheet helps protect the silver conductive fibres from sulphur in sweat, body oils, and the myriad of ingredients in creams and lotions that can damage silver.
- 15-20 times more silver means far more tolerance to body oils and lotions coating compared to 3% silver earthing sheets.
These combined make for an easier earthing experience and a longer-lasting product.
Our new premium range takes this even further as it cannot be oxidised or damaged by sulphur in sweat or the ingredients in creams and lotions.
Wondering how the earth’s free electrons travel through your regular fitted sheet to you?
Conductive channels are created in your normal bed sheets via the slightest of body moisture or humidity. The earth’s free electrons travel through these conductive channels from our highly conductive earthing undersheet. Your body weight compresses the sheets turning these conductive channels into superhighways. You can verify this with an autorange multimeter or see our video below. Our earthing sleep system gives up to 100x reduction in A/C voltage through jeans, t-shirt and regular fitted sheet!
We recommend that you use your earthing underlay with fitted sheets made from natural fibres like cotton, linen, tencel etc, and contain little or no synthetic fibre like polyester. Natural fibres absorb moisture easily, making them better conductors of free electrons.
The Importance of Earthing Bedding Reliability or Why a Warranty is Important
Earthing sheets are not like regular cotton sheets. A regular bed sheet will last for years before it develops obvious signs of wear such as holes. Earthing sheets only last as long as they remain conductive. If conductivity fails, you have an expensive earthing sheet that no longer works for earthing. This can happen in months with no visible signs.
With earthing sheets made with silver, conductivity can decrease due to sulphur in everyday sweat to incorrect washing. This can be a major problem if you have a low percentage of silver to begin with.
With black carbon-infused earthing sleep mats, the carbon can break down on a microscopic level. This is a risk if the carbon is infused on the surface only and not throughout.
This is why it is important to choose a high-quality product that is designed to last and is backed by a warranty on its effective life. You can read our warranty. Fortunately, you can easily test the conductivity of your earthing sheet with a multimeter.
If you find that daily earthing improves your arthritic pain, autoimmune condition, sleep or circulation, you may also find that the benefits of earthing can decrease or even stop if your earthing sheet stops working.
That’s because earthing is not a cure. It is a lifestyle practice for optimal health. Find out more about earthing for health and how free electrons act like antioxidants in our body.
Be sure to get a warranty in writing that your earthing product will earth effectively for a fair period of time. We give 5-years on our premium range, 2-years on our silver underlays. Like any product with a warranty, it should last longer when cared for. We expect our premium range will last at least 15 years for the average person. Our silver underlays are likely to last 4 years for the average person.